One of the most common questions I am asked by my friends and family after they receive a wedding invitation in the mail is, "What should I wear?"
Here is a quick overview of the most common attire wording that you will see on an invite:
- Black tie (tuxedos and formal gowns)
- Formal, black tie optional (suit and tie and dresses)
- Semi-formal (suit and tie and cocktail dresses)
- Cocktail attire (suits and party dresses)
- Beach or garden party attire (summer suits and summer dresses)
- Casual (button down shirts or polos and summer sundresses or a skirt or pants with a nice blouse)
We always suggest to the person sending the invite that they include this little tidbit, so it is easy for guests to know what they are expected to wear. Sometimes it is also helpful to include, a note about shoes, if you know the terrain is grass or cobblestones and you have a stiletto wearing crowd.